Baker update: Reds manager still hospitalized, expects to fly to Cincinnati Friday

SHARE Baker update: Reds manager still hospitalized, expects to fly to Cincinnati Friday

Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker remained in a local hospital Thursday undergoing more tests related to an irregular heartbeat, but he expects to be released to fly to Cincinnati on Friday, said acting manager Chris Speier.

Speier said he talked to Baker Wednesday night and got an update from one of the manager’s friends Thursday morning.

“Everything sounded good,” Speier said.

Baker, 63, left Wrigley Field before batting practice Wednesday for chest x-rays in an effort to rule out pneumonia after he was examined by the Cubs’ team doctor.

The former Cubs manager has a history of irregular heartbeat, team officials said Wednesday night.

Baker is expected to rejoin the team Friday for the Reds’ series opener against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Whether he resumes managing on Friday likely will be a matter of doctor’s orders, Speier said, adding “knowing Dusty, he will.”

“All our prayers go out, and hopefully everything’s good for Dusty,” Cubs manager Dale Sveum said, “because he’s a great guy. And the rest of the year will be very important for him to be around to help his club.”

The Reds have an 11-game lead in the National League Central and hope to clinch their second division title in three years during their upcoming home series.

The Latest
The boy was shot in the back and taken to a hospital in fair condition, police said.
The action marks a dramatic escalation in law enforcement scrutiny of the former Republican president and comes as he has been laying the groundwork to make another bid for the White House.
Most of the cuts will be in Illinois-based positions, a company spokesman said.
The teen and another person were in the 100 block of West 79th Street when they each displayed handguns and fired at each other, police said.
Vaughn’s parents argue they’ve lost time and income traveling to see their son in prison. Vaughn is being held in Pinckneyville Correctional Center, serving four life sentences for the murders of his wife and three children.