Autopsy: U of C student found in dorm died of alcohol poisoning

SHARE Autopsy: U of C student found in dorm died of alcohol poisoning

A University of Chicago student found dead in his dorm room in February died of alcohol poisoning, authorities said Monday.

Nicholas Barnes, 20, was found Feb. 15 inside his dorm room in the 1400 block of East 59th Street, authorities said. He was found dead about 4:15 p.m., and the body appeared to have been there for some time.

Barnes died of ethanol toxicity, and his death was ruled an accident, said Frank Shuftan, a spokesman for the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

The Pittsburgh, Pa., native was a third-year student, and involved with the campus literary publication Sliced Bread, school officials said. He lived in International House, a residential facility that includes mostly single rooms.

There was no evidence of foul play, said Karen Warren Coleman, Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services, at the time of his death.

She called Barnes “an excellent student, admired by faculty and peers alike.”

The Latest
Chicago No Limits Fishing gives people with disabilities the ability to experience boating and fishing around downtown on Lake Michigan and the Chicago River.
The Hawks finished their season 23-53-6 — with the most losses in franchise history — after a 5-4 overtime defeat Thursday in Los Angeles. They ripped off three third-period goals to take the lead, but conceded late in regulation and then six seconds into overtime.
In moments, her 11th album feels like a bloodletting: A cathartic purge after a major heartbreak delivered through an ascendant vocal run, an elegiac verse, or mobile, synthesized productions that underscore the powers of Swift’s storytelling.
Sounds of explosions near an air base in Isfahan on Friday morning prompted fears of Israeli reprisals following a drone and missile strike by Iran on Israeli targets. State TV in Tehran reported defenses fired across several provinces.