Nats will release Starlin Castro after his 30-game ban is completed

Castro will be ineligible for the postseason under the terms of the suspension and will be required to undergo evaluation and treatment, MLB said.

SHARE Nats will release Starlin Castro after his 30-game ban is completed
The Nationals will release Starlin Castro when his 30-game suspension is completed.

The Nationals will release Starlin Castro when his 30-game suspension is completed.

Gregory Bull/AP

WASHINGTON — Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro has been suspended for 30 games without pay and fined an undisclosed amount for violating Major League Baseball’s policy on domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.

Shortly after MLB announced the penalty Friday, the Nationals said they would release Castro when the ban concludes.

Castro will be ineligible for the postseason under the terms of the suspension and will be required to undergo evaluation and treatment, MLB said.

“Having reviewed all the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Castro violated our policy and that discipline is appropriate,” baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said earlier this month, while MLB was investigating allegations against Castro, that he didn’t plan on having him back with the team this season.

“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously. We fully support the commissioner’s decision,” the team said in a statement after the MLB announcement.

Castro was was accused of sexual assault in connection with a 2011 incident in Chicago but was not charged. Rizzo said Castro was vetted before the Nationals signed him to a two-year contract in January 2020, adding that he was “angered” by the new allegations.

The 31-year-old Castro is a 12-year major league veteran and a four-time All-Star who has played for the Cubs, New York Yankees and Miami Marlins. He played 87 games for Washington this season, mostly starting at third base.

The Latest
ESPN’s documentary on the Avalanche-Red Wings rivalry was so good, it made me want docs for rivalries with Chicago teams. That got me thinking: What could those be?
U.S. District Judge Robert Dow Jr. has asked lawyers in a Chicago gun-rights suit to weigh in on whether Justice Clarence Thomas’s majority opinion affects the city’s ban.
The shooting happened near Van Buren and Wells streets, in the same area where four people were shot in early May.
The teen is heartbroken that mother won’t discuss the subject or use the new name or pronouns.
Predictable tale wins us over with breezy style and some familiar faces.