Two teenage boys have been charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a reputed gang member in Little Village last week.
David Guillen, 16, was charged as an adult and ordered held without bail Tuesday for the murder of Noe Mondragon-Jimenez, the Cook County state’s attorney’s office said.
Guillen’s co-defendant, a 15-year-old boy, also faces a murder charge but is being charged as a juvenile. Because he is a minor, his name was not released by authorities.
About 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Mondragon-Jimenez, 27, was walking with his girlfriend in the 4100 block of West 27th Street when they saw a dark-colored vehicle approach, prosecutors said.
Mondragon-Jimenez, a reputed member of the Two-Six street gang, was told by his girlfriend to be careful because she suspected the passengers in the car were members of the rival Latin Kings.
The couple continued walking when Guillen and the 15-year-old boy got out of the car with handguns attached with laser sights and began firing, prosecutors said.
After Mondragon-Jimenez collapsed to the ground, the younger boy allegedly walked up to him and struck him with the handgun. Guillen, meanwhile, ran back toward the car, prosecutors said.
Lea este artículo en español en La Voz Chicago.
Mondragon-Jimenez was shot 19 times and was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital, prosecutors said.
Mondragon-Jimenez’s girlfriend, who is also a minor, said she recognized both suspects as former summer school classmates at Corkery Elementary School, prosecutors said. She also allegedly identified the teenage boys in a photo array.
The shooting was seen by two other witnesses, one of whom was also able to identify both boys as the shooters in a photo array, prosecutors said.
Eight 9 mm shell casings found at the scene were determined to have been fired from the same gun, but police ShotSpotter boxes recorded the shots being fired from two separate guns.
A police POD camera also later captured Guillen, whose face could be clearly seen in the footage. He was also caught on camera later that night, appearing to reenact the shooting for others, prosecutors said.
Guillen and the 15-year-old were taken into custody at their respective homes on Sunday, prosecutors said.
Guillen is expected back in court July 27. The 15-year-old is scheduled to appear in Juvenile Court Monday, the state’s attorney’s office said.