Man, dog found dead after apparent kitchen fire in Gresham home
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
A man and a dog were found dead Friday morning after a kitchen fire in a South Side Gresham neighborhood home.
A family member found 24-year-old Leon Owens dead shortly after 10:30 a.m. inside his home in the 8600 block of South Honore, according to Fire Media Affairs director Larry Langford and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The fire apparently started when he fell asleep while food was cooking in the kitchen, Langford said. It burned itself out at some point before his body was discovered.
The fire generated “heavy smoke and carbon monoxide” inside the home, according to the fire department.
The relative had gone to the house to check on Owens and found him dead near the dog, Langford said. Preliminary investigation indicated he may have woken up at some point and tried to get the dog out of the home, but was unable to make it out.
It was not immediately clear what time the fire occurred, but it may have started between 10 p.m. Thursday and sometime Friday morning, according to Langford. Smoke detectors were present and working in the house.
The fire remained under investigation.