A west suburban man has been charged with robbing a bank Tuesday evening in southwest suburban Stickney.
Steve Briggins, 56, of Brookfield is suspected of robbing at least nine suburban TCF Bank branches.
The latest incident came in a non-takeover robbery about 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at the TCF Bank branch inside the Jewel-Osco at 7122 W. 40th Street in Stickney, according to FBI spokesman Garrett Croon.
Briggins was described as a black man wearing a blue jacket, red hat and dark sunglasses before he was taken into custody, Croon said.
The FBI believes Briggins has robbed at least eight other suburban banks, including the same Stickney branch three other times and the same Alsip branch twice, since December. The robberies happened:
- about 6:40 p.m. March 16 at 7122 W. 40th St. in Stickney;
- about 6:40 p.m. Feb. 16 at 12001 S. Pulaski Road in Alsip;
- about 7 p.m. Feb. 10 at 2128 S. Mannheim St. in Westchester;
- shortly after 6 p.m. Jan. 30 in Stickney;
- about 1:30 p.m. Jan. 16 at 10203 W. Grand Ave. in Franklin Park;
- about 9:20 a.m. Jan. 5 at 8801 S. Ridgeland Ave. in Oak Lawn;
- about 3:20 p.m. Dec. 28, 2016 in Alsip; and
- about 5:30 p.m Dec. 14 in Stickney.
A female accompanied Briggins during several of the robberies, according to the FBI.
Briggins was next expected to appear in court Monday.
Anyone with information is asked to call the FBI at (312) 421-6700.