Fire official: Aurora woman fell asleep with food cooking on stove

SHARE Fire official: Aurora woman fell asleep with food cooking on stove
SHARE Fire official: Aurora woman fell asleep with food cooking on stove

A fire in west suburban Aurora began when a 40-year-old woman fell asleep with food cooking on the stove Monday, according to a fire official.

Crews responded to the blaze in the 500 block of Binder Street at 1:35 p.m., according to a statement from the Aurora Fire Department.

They found a large fire coming from the basement and extending to the first floor.

A neighbor in the upstairs apartment discovered the fire and alerted the downstairs resident, a 40-year-old woman. She was taken to Rush Copley Medical Center in Aurora, according to the statement.

The arson team determined the woman fell asleep while cooking food on the stove. There were no working smoke detectors in either unit, according to the statement.

The blaze was brought under control about an hour later, according to the statement. No other injuries were reported.

Damage from the fire is estimated at $85,000, and the home was left uninhabitable, according to the statement. The city’s Victim Services is helping the residents find alternate housing.

The Latest
Ross said he took issue with the umpires not meeting to discuss whether Reds reliever Hunter Strickland had intentionally hit Cubs slugger Patrick Wisdom in the ninth inning.
After Monty’s unexpected death on Montrose Beach May 13 — and Rose’s unexpected absence — volunteers and piping plover fans came together to honor the couple’s memory.
Tart cherries are a natural source of melatonin, the sleep-promoting hormone. After eating tart cherries, melatonin levels rise significantly in test subjects which often contributes to improved sleep.