Hinsdale South student’s Snapchat threat leads to weapons charges

SHARE Hinsdale South student’s Snapchat threat leads to weapons charges

Sun-Times file photo

A west suburban high school student who made a threat toward another student on social media is facing several weapons charges.

A Hinsdale South student came forward Monday with information about a posting the boy made on Snapchat threatening another student, according to a statement from the DuPage County state’s attorney’s office.

During the investigation into the threat, officers searched the boy’s home and found several guns, ammunition, paper shooting targets, explosives, knives, brass knuckles and gas masks, prosecutors said.

He has been charged with one count of possession of an explosive or incendiary device, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon, three counts of possession of firearms without an FOID card, and two counts of disorderly conduct, all felonies.

Judge Michael Wolfe ordered the teen be held after a detention hearing Wednesday morning, prosecutors said. He is next scheduled to appear in court Oct. 19.

“We take any threat to the safety and security of our students and teachers very seriously,” State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said in the statement.

“Students and teachers alike must not fear for their safety at school. With fear in our classrooms, teachers can’t teach and students can’t learn,” he said.

“First and foremost, I want to thank the young man who came forward and brought these alleged threats to our attention. Sometimes it can take a tremendous amount of courage to do the right thing,” Berlin said.

The Latest
District officials responded to a public outcry, saying a picture in the yearbook did not reflect ‘the values and beliefs of Bartlett High School and School District U-46.’ Members of the Muslim Student Association posted a picture of the image online.
A hamstring strain is the latest in a long line of injuries and IL stints.
The Bridge Access Program was supposed to be temporary and originally scheduled to end in December. Now it’s set to end in August.
Authorities say a man dropped the child at a Chicago fire station Tuesday. He was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where he was listed in good condition, police said.