Man charged with string of NW Side armed robberies

SHARE Man charged with string of NW Side armed robberies
Gonzalez_Andre.jpg

A man has been charged with a string of armed robberies last month on the Northwest Side, Chicago Police announced Thursday.

Andre Gonzalez, 29, was charged with three counts of robbery, two counts of aggravated battery in a public place, one count of aggravated robbery with a firearm, and one count of aggravated battery of a victim 60 years of age or older, police said.

In a community alert released Jan. 30, police warned about multiple robberies that happened between Jan. 25-29 where the suspect stole wallets and purses, battering victims who resisted.

Officers were investigating this series of robberies when they saw a vehicle driven by someone matching the suspect’s description, police said. They stopped the vehicle for a minor traffic violation.

Gonzalez did not produce a license or insurance and was taken into custody, police said. Officers saw possible stolen property in the vehicle, and further investigation implicated him in the Northwest Side robberies.

Bond was set at $250,000 Thursday, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office. Gonzalez, of the 2700 block of North Mango Ave, is next scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

The Latest
Bailey isn’t under any legal obligation to make his tax returns public. But if the state senator is serious about serving the public as governor, he ought to play ball.
Shrunken heads, magic and other circus acts will accompany scoops of gelato at Sideshow Gelato, coming to Lincoln Square next year.
Last year on Independence Day, Chicago reached a level of air pollution four times the hourly average of a normal summer day. “By 10:30 at night, it’s just a hazy fog and smoke everywhere that you can see,” one resident said.
Woman wonders why he would say that on Facebook and whether the relationship has a future.
The man, believed to be between 40 and 50 years old, was found unresponsive in the middle of police by responding officers.