Bond was denied on Friday for the second man charged with a 2010 triple murder in the North Lawndale neighborhood, an attack thatwas part of one of the bloodiest weekends in Chicagohistory.
Arsenio Harden, 26, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder for the shooting he’s accused of carrying out on June 19, 2010 with 27-year-old Felix Hollimon, who was arrested earlier this month, Cook County prosecutors said.
About 3 a.m. that morning, Harden and Hollimon asked an acquaintanceto drive them to the 2200 block of South Springfield to buy marijuana, according to Chicago Police and prosecutors.
The driver later told investigators she saw the men firemore than 10 gunshots, and that Harden and Hollimonthen had her drive them to an apartment to clean their hands and arms with bleach, prosecutors said.
Police responded to the block and found two men shot in separate cars, and a third man lying on the street outside one of the cars.
Waseem Smith, 25, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. Barry Smith, 45, and Leon Smith, 28, were both taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where they later died.
Later that morning, Harden and Hollimon had the driver take them to an apartment near Grand and Pulaski, where Hollimon’s girlfriend took their guns and put them in her car, prosecutors said.
When another witness later asked Harden about the murders, he allegedly replied: “We took care of business,” according to prosecutors.
The slayings happened during a hot and bloody summer weekend in Chicago in temperatures soared into the upper 80s, and a total of 10 people were killed and nearly 60 others — men, women and children — were wounded in gun violence, the Sun-Times reported at the time.
A judge on Friday ordered Harden held without bond. Hollimon was ordered held on a $2 million bond earlier this month, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office.
Both men are due back in court April 23.