clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Pedestrian struck by two vehicles, killed in Calumet City

Sun-Times file photo

A 61-year-old man was killed Monday evening when he was struck by two vehicles as he crossed a roadway in south suburban Calumet City.

Officers responded about 8:30 p.m. to a report of a crash involving a vehicle and a pedestrian near the intersection of Sibley Boulevard and Burnham Avenue, according to Calumet City police. When they arrived, officers identified the injured pedestrian as 61-year-old Sergio Romero.

Romero had been struck and knocked to the ground by a sedan as he crossed Burnham Avenue, police said. The sedan then drove off.

Witnesses said Romero was lying injured in the roadway when another vehicle swerved to avoid striking him, at which point a third vehicle struck Romero, police said. That vehicle then came to a stop, and the driver remained on scene.

The second driver who struck the pedestrian was issued a minor citation, police said.

Romero died at 9:25 p.m. at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

An autopsy showed he died of multiple injuries from motor vehicles striking a pedestrian, the medical examiner’s office said. His death was ruled an accident.