Chicago festivals 2021: What events have returned, been rescheduled
Just because summer if over doesn’t mean festivals have ended. The fall brings more events. Here’s the latest updates on this year’s changing entertainment landscape.
With summer moving further in the rear-view mirror, Chicago’s festivals season is still going strong.
Lea este artículo en español en La Voz Chicago.
The pandemic has continued to force cancelations among some festivals, but others have adapted to various restrictions and have announced their return and concerts have been rescheduled.
We’re tracking the status of the city’s festival and major events throughout the area as new cancellations and postponements are announced. Check back for updates.
- Hello Helios: The warming suns of Chicago’s Greektown, 24 artworks in a public art installation along Halsted Street from Madison St. to Van Buren. Beginning June 5.
- The Ravinia Festival announced it will reopen in July 1 for 64 concerts through Sept. 26 with a slate of outdoor concerts including a six-week residency by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Also slated to appear are: Cynthia Erivo, Kurt Elling, Brian McKnight, Ides of March, Madeleine Peyroux, Midori, Joshua Bell, Pinchas Zukerman, the Chicago Sinfonietta and the Joffrey Ballet.
- Summerfest: Milwaukee. The festival will take place over three weekends, Sept. 2-4, 9-11 and 16-18. More than 100 artists are slated to perform including Chance the Rapper, Miley Cyrus, Luke Bryan, Pixies, Rise Against, Wilco, Diplo, and Fitz and the Tantrums.
- RiotFest: Douglass Park, Sept. 17-19.
- Dead & Company: Wrigley Field, Sept. 17-18
- Wright Plus Architectural Housewalk: Oak Park. Sept. 18.
- A Night at Mister Kelly’s: The Stars Come Alive: City Winery, Sept. 18
- Artfest Michigan Ave.: Sept. 18-19.
- Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival: Opening night: Sept. 23, runs Sept. 24-30 at Landmark Century Centre Cinema and from Sept. 27-Oct. 7 virtually.
- Andersonville Homecoming: Sept. 24-26
- Hyde Park Jazz Festival, Sept. 25-26.
- Lyric Opera of Chicago 2021-22 season, opening night featuring a new production of Verdi’s Macbeth, Sept. 25.
- Lincoln Square Greek Fest: Oct. 1-3.
- Chicago Wine Fest, at the Lincoln Park Zoo. Oct. 2.
- Spring Awakening/Autumn Equinox, Addams/Medill Park, Oct. 2-3.
- Lincoln Park Wine Fest, Jonquil Park, Oct. 9-10.
- Chicago Marathon: Oct. 10
- Chicago International Film Festival: Oct. 13-24 at various venues.
- Court Theatre – “Othello,” Court Theatre, opening Oct. 21.
- Chicago Chicken Wing Festival: Oct. 24