Suspect in killing of California deputies had been deported twice

SHARE Suspect in killing of California deputies had been deported twice

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Federal authorities say a man suspected of killing two deputies during a shooting rampage in Northern California was deported twice and has a drug conviction.

A U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman said Saturday fingerprints of the suspected shooter confirm he was first deported to Mexico in 1997 after being convicted in Arizona for drug possession. He was arrested and repatriated to Mexico again in 2001.

Sacramento County sheriff’s authorities said the suspect identified himself as 34-year-old Marcelo Marquez of Salt Lake City. However, federal officials say his fingerprints match the biometric records for a Luis Enrique Monroy-Bracamonte.

The suspect’s wife is also in custody following the shooting rampage that left two deputies dead, and two others victims wounded.

The Latest
“Anytime something like this happens, we go through a process looking at safety measures in the investigation,” said Coast Guard Lt. Rachel Ault.
Gov. J.B. Pritzker, standing alongside new Democratic Party of Illinois Chair Lisa Hernandez and Sen. Tammy Duckworth, downplayed the intraparty tension, especially around Sen. Dick Durbin, who wanted Rep. Robin Kelly to remain in the top party post.
Ethan Middleton and DJ Stewart, now juniors, will run behind a large, experienced line led by seniors Nick Strelczyk and Collin Gerger.
The teen was shot in the 2400 block of South Trumbull Avenue, police said.