Battery may have caused fire that killed man, 93, in Ashburn

SHARE Battery may have caused fire that killed man, 93, in Ashburn

An electric wheelchair battery could be to blame for a fire that killed a 93-year-old man Tuesday in Ashburn.

Walter Haton died at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park after the fire in the 3300 block of West 83rd Place.

Authorities think a lithium battery used to power an electric wheelchair started the fire, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.


The Latest
“Because of the marketing and advertising of these kinds weapons, our lives will not be the same,” said Lorena Rebollar Sedano, who was shot in the foot and is one of those who filed suit Wednesday.
The Twins move into a second-place tie with the Sox in the AL Central.
Wesneski held the Phillies to one run in five-plus innings.
Soderblom, the Hawks’ top prospect goalie, worked on his lateral quickness over the summer and showed it off while saving 31 of 33 shots Wednesday.