Man gets 32 years for robbery, murder in case involving police-involved shooting

SHARE Man gets 32 years for robbery, murder in case involving police-involved shooting

A man convicted of murder because his accomplice in a South Side robbery was fatally shot by police in 2012 has been sentenced to 32 years in prison.

A Cook County jury convicted Tevin Louis, 22, of two counts of murder and two counts of armed robbery following a November 2014 trial, according to court records. Judge Thomas Byrne sentenced him Wednesday to a total of 32 years.

Louis was arrested after he and an alleged accomplice — 19-year-old Marquise Sampson — robbed two King Gyro restaurant employees at gunpoint on July 8, 2012, in the 7900 block of South Vincennes, authorities said at the time.

Gresham District officers patrolling the area saw Sampson running in the 500 block of West Winneconna and chased him after he refused to stop, police and prosecutors said.

Police said Sampson pulled a weapon and pointed it at one of the officers, who shot him twice, according to court documents. Sampson was dead at the scene.

Louis was initially arrested for disorderly conduct after he returned to the area of the shooting and tried to enter the guarded crime scene, prosecutors said. He later admitted he participated in the robbery.

Surveillance video from the restaurant also captured the robbery, and Louis told a third party of his involvement, prosecutors said.

Louis, of the 7700 block of South Halsted, will receive credit for nearly three years spent in jail since his arrest, court records show.

The Independent Police Review Authority investigated the fatal shooting, and found the officer’s use of deadly force to be justified, according to a report posted to IPRA’s website.

The Latest
One way or another, the Hawks will need to find more sources of offense for the regular season.
The objective of those writing threatening letters in Illinois is no different than the scams of out-of-state Republicans who want to bombard and wear out election officials with complaints that hold no water.
Mason Crosby made a 31-yard field goal as time expired in OT.
Jones, a third-round pick, was making his NFL debut.
Defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard is to be named interim head coach.