Man gets 15 years for role in 2013 fatal drive-by shooting

SHARE Man gets 15 years for role in 2013 fatal drive-by shooting
phillipboyd.jpeg

Phillip Boyd | Illinois Department of Corrections

A man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for his role in a fatal drive-by shooting in the South Chicago neighborhood more than three years ago.

Phillip L. Boyd, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, according to Cook County court records.

Tyrone Hart, 18, was standing on the corner in the 8000 block of South Chappel Avenue when a passenger inside a passing black Nissan Maxima opened fire about 7:45 p.m. July 23, 2013, authorities said.

Hart, of the 8100 block of South Chappel, was shot in the chest and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 8:45 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Judge Thomas Joseph Hennelly sentenced Boyd to 15 years in prison Friday, according to court records. Boyd will receive credit for 1,170 days served in the Cook County Jail, and must serve two years of supervised release.

He was booked into the Stateville Correctional Center on Monday to begin serving his sentence.

Boyd’s co-defendant, 27-year-old Terrence Snowden, was charged with murder, possessing a firearm without a valid FOID card, and cannabis possession, authorities said at the time. His case is still pending, and he is next scheduled to appear in court Nov. 2.

The Latest
Pet owners beware; the flea population in the Chicago area will be higher this summer, according to the Companion Animal Parasite Council.
The Cubs radio analyst, a Southwest Side son, spent a day reliving his past — and the emotions came flooding back.
At least nine people died nationwide and an estimated 11,500 were injured last year in accidents involving fireworks, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Local 150 of the International Union of Operating Engineers has been off the job since June 7 and no talks are scheduled.
A team spokesperson said the franchise stuck with White, who is now the voice of LIV Golf, because they felt it wasn’t appropriate to judge where he chose to work outside the club.