Bears coach Matt Nagy argues a call with head linesman Jeff Bergman on Sunday. | Nam Y. Huh/AP photo

Bears coach Matt Nagy: ‘My fault’ for throwing challenge flag too late

SHARE Bears coach Matt Nagy: ‘My fault’ for throwing challenge flag too late
SHARE Bears coach Matt Nagy: ‘My fault’ for throwing challenge flag too late

Bears coach Matt Nagy blamed himself for throwing the red challenge flag too late in the second quarter of Sunday’s win against the Lions. Receiver Kenny Golladay fumbled, but officials said the Lions recovered.

The Bears appeared to have the ball — but the Lions ran a no-huddle play before Nagy could throw the flag.

Nagy said he was too busy looking at his play sheet for the next drive.

“That’s my fault,” he said.

This and that

  • In between kicker Cody Parkey’s missed field goals in the third quarter, cornerback Prince Amukamara got the ball back by popping the ball out of running back Kerryon Johnson’s arms. Safety Adrian Amos recovered the ball after what looked like a “Peanut Punch.” “I don’t know that coach [Ed Donatell] would count it as one,” Amukamara said. “He calls those maybe a ‘tomahawk.”
  • Amukamara’s jersey was missing the second “a” in his name until the Bears gave him a backup to wear in the first half. It was reminiscent of two years ago, when the Jaguars placed that same “a” ahead of the “k” in his name when they played in Chicago. “I keep telling everybody, ‘If you sound it out, it’s spelled the way it sounds,’” he joked.
  • .Outside linebacker Leonard Floyd got his first sack of the season, a bear hug of quarterback Matthew Stafford. “It’s been so long since I held the quarterback,” he said, “I just wanted to hold him a little longer.”
  • Receiver Kevin White was a healthy scratch for the second-straight week.RELATED
  • Bears top Lions 34-22
  • Trubisky steps up with ‘laser focus’
  • Mack has two sacks in return from injury
  • MORRISSEY: Cody Parkey hits four uprights. Seriously
The Latest
The 21-year-old was found in the basement bathroom of a home in the 200 block of West 105th Street with a gunshot wound to the head.
Xherdan Shaqiri gave the Fire a 3-2 lead in the 89th minute, but it lasted only two minutes as Patryk Klimala scored to keep the Fire in search of their first victory since March 19.
The Sox’ sputtering offense had 10 hits but went 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position
The male, whose age was unknown, was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.