Man, 65, charged with fatal stabbing during argument over lawnmower

SHARE Man, 65, charged with fatal stabbing during argument over lawnmower

Sun-Times file photo

A 65-year-old man was ordered held without bail Thursday on a charge of first-degree murder in a stabbing that allegedly occurred over a stolen lawnmower.

Tommie Moore is accused of repeatedly stabbing 61-year-old Mitchell Eiland on Monday night with a knife Moore had hidden inside a walking cane, according to Chicago police the Cook County state’s attorney’s office.

About 8:35 p.m., the two men were arguing in the 5400 block of South Aberdeenover a lawnmower Eiland had allegedly stolen from Moore when Moore pulled out the knife and stabbed Eiland until he fell to the ground, Assistant State’s Attorney Daniel Crone said in court.

A police report described the knife as being “attached to the tip” of the cane and reported that Eiland cut Moore’s hand with a blade when Moore pulled out the cane knife.

Moore continued to stab Eiland and also kicked him, Crone said. In all, Eiland suffered two stab wounds to his neck, three to the left side of his abdomen and four stab wounds to his back.

Tommie Moore | Chicago police

Tommie Moore | Chicago police

Eiland was taken to University of Chicago Medical Centerand pronounced dead less than an hour later, authorities said.He lived about a block from where he was stabbed. An autopsy found he died of multiple sharp force injuries and his death was ruled a homicide.

Moore allegedly went back to his house after the stabbing and threw the knife in his backyard, Crone said. He then went to a store to get beer, where he was located by officers.

Moore was taken to Mercy Hospital for treatment for the cut on his hand, according to his arrest report.

The knife used in the stabbing was recovered from the backyard and a separate knife was found near Eiland, Crone said. Witnesses told investigators they heard the men arguing and saw Moore kick Eiland while he was on the ground, but did not see how the stabbing began.

Moore made a videotaped statement to detectives while in custody admitting to stabbing Eiland, Crone said.

Moore, who lives in the block where the stabbing occurred, was hospitalized at the time of the hearing and was not present in court. He was ordered held without bail and his next court date was scheduled for Monday.

The Latest
The wounded were in the 400 block of South Wells Street about 1:45 a.m. when they were shot.
A man and woman were on the sidewalk in the 4600 block of South Ellis Avenue about 10:40 p.m. when someone opened fire, striking them both.
The 29-year-old was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said.