Cubs’ Yu Darvish admits feeling pressure over megadeal during rough 2018 season

SHARE Cubs’ Yu Darvish admits feeling pressure over megadeal during rough 2018 season
screen_shot_2019_02_13_at_6.12.31_pm.png

Darvish

MESA, Ariz. — After his first official bullpen session, Yu Darvish provided at least one reason to think he could be looking at a big turnaround this season. He admitted his six-year, $126 million contract got in his head at times last year.

“Last year, I didn’t say anything about that, but definitely I was thinking [that] I had to do something for the Cubs. I should win 20 games or something,” Darvish said Wednesday as Cubs pitchers and catchers participated in their first official workout.

Between that and an injury saga that dragged from May 20 until the end of the season, the four-time All-Star experienced his worst season in the majors.

As he opens camp, he said the arm feels good, he feels stronger than ever after a winter workout program, and he no longer feels that first-year, big-contract pressure.

“I want to be myself [now],” he said.

Teammates, including Jon Lester, say they’ve noticed a different comfort level in Darvish’s body language already.

“That first year is a little tough, but I think everybody handles it in a different way,” said Lester, who can identify with the big-contract phenomenon. He struggled early in 2015, the first year of his $155 million deal. “It’s a personal thing; it’s something you have to eventually move on from.

“You try to live up to your contract every start, and you can’t do that. You have to put that behind you as best you can, and obviously, it was a little harder for him with his arm [injury]. He seems in a better place physically and mentally, so that’s a boost for us, and I’m excited for us.”

RELATED

Cubs announce deal with Sinclair to launch Marquee

Dempster interested in ‘exploring’ Cubs network show

This and that

Manager Joe Maddon said David Bote enters camp as the backup to shortstop Javy Baez (with Addison Russell serving a suspension for domestic violence the first month of the season).

— Bote will also see time this spring at third and second, part of a second-base mix that figures to include a heavy dose of newcomer Daniel Descalso and a sprinkling of Ben Zobrist.

— The Cubs added to their bullpen mix by signing veteran left-hander Xavier Cedeno to a one-year, $900,000 contract. He went 2-0 with a 2.43 ERA in 48 games for the White Sox and Brewers last season.

— Non-roster pitcher Junichi Tazawa has been delayed in Japan by visa issues. He’s expected to join camp Wednesday.

— Right-hander Kendall Graveman, who’s recovering from Tommy John surgery, was put on the 60-day injured list, as expected.

The Latest
It happens all over Chicago. Some folks offer a perfunctory “everyone supports housing” statement before angrily demonstrating that they are, in fact, not meaningfully supportive of new housing.
Man is upset that she’ll be standing up at the service along with her ex.
The lack of a defined, public strategy isn’t a criticism of city officials. The goal is to show that Chicago can embrace protest and the exercise of free speech rights.
If Democrats wanted to change the rules for nominating candidates, they should have waited until 2025, a non-election year. Even then, it would need some lively debate. Oh, wait, maybe that’s what they were trying to avoid.
Thinking ahead to your next few meals? Here are some main dishes and sides to try.