A man was shot during an exchange of gunfire with Chicago police Sunday in Englewood on the South Side, authorities said.
About 2:30 p.m., officers responded to a call of a person with a gun in an alley near the 5700 block of South Racine and saw a man matching the description take off on foot, Deputy Chief Yolanda Talley told reporters. During an ensuing chase, the man, thought to be in his late teens or early 20s, allegedly turned to the officers and fired shots.
Two officers then returned fire and struck the suspect, who was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where his condition was stabilized, authorities said. He remains in police custody.
A gun was recovered at the scene, according to Talley.
No officers were injured in the shooting, though Talley said three were being evaluated at a hospital. The shooting wasn’t captured on police body cameras, she said.
Offender’s firearm recovered by police after firing at Officers. Officers returned fire striking the offender. Offender transported to U of C Hospital. pic.twitter.com/UQPmfP3a35— Tom Ahern (@TomAhernCPD) August 9, 2020
About an hour after the shootout, neighbors engaged in a standoff with officers that Talley described as “very hostile.”
“Emotions were running high. They were responding to misinformation,” Talley said.
Some members of the community had heard a “young person” had been shot, while others were responding to a report that a witness who videotaped the shooting had his phone taken by officers. She said those reports were inaccurate.
During the incident, one officer was maced and another suffered a shoulder injury, Talley said. The first officer was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and the other was treated at the scene. A brick was also lobbed through the window of a police vehicle, she said.
Two people were arrested in the aftermath of the confrontation, Talley said.
The Civilian Office of Police Accountability is investigating the use of force.
The shooting narrative put forth by Talley doesn’t align with the account offered by a 19-year-old man claiming to be the brother of the victim.
Earl Allen said he and his 20-year-old brother were hanging out at Moran Park, at the intersection of 57th Street and Racine, when they got into a “little altercation” and left. The Sun-Times is withholding the man’s name because he hasn’t been charged with a crime.
As the brothers walked off with a group of people, Allen said someone made a comment to officers in a police vehicle that prompted a pursuit. After the group dispersed, Allen said he returned to the 5600 block of South Aberdeen, where he and his brother live.
That’s when he heard roughly eight or nine gunshots ring out.
“I’m hearing it. I’m like, ‘Oh no, no, no, no. They’re shooting. I hope they ain’t just shoot my brother,’” said Allen, who did not see the shooting.
A short time later, Allen’s wounded brother emerged in a grassy clearing and ran into their home. Fire officials confirmed the victim of the shooting was picked up at the home.
Shown a photo of the gun officers reportedly recovered, Allen denied that it belonged to his brother.
“My brother ain’t fired at no police,” he said.
Records show the man has been arrested twice in just over a year. Last July, he was arrested at the same address and charged with domestic battery. On March 26, he was arrested in the nearby 5700 block of South May and charged with reckless conduct and child endangerment.
The battery charge was later dropped and the other case is ongoing, court records show.