I found it cathartic, after a year off for the pandemic, to pull together a top-10 for the Chicago-area teams headed to the state finals of the Illinois High School Association’s bass fishing. The finals are Friday, May 21, and Saturday, May 22, at Carlyle Lake.
Here are the rankings for the Chicago-area bass-fishing teams that qualified for the state finals. Rankings are based on state finals history and sectional results.
1) Minooka: 10th year at state, seventh straight time, Heidecke champs
2) Streamwood: 10th year at state
3) Wheaton-Warrenville South: Ninth year at state, Busse Main champs
4) St. Charles North: Eighth year at state
5) Taft: Seventh year at state, second straight time qualifying both boats
6) Huntley: Sixth year at state, Chain South champs
7) Reed-Custer: Sixth straight trip to state
8) Sandburg: Des Plaines champs, fifth year at state
9) Downers North: Repeat as Busse South champs
10) Antioch: Chain North champs, third straight time to state under Brad Rubin