Parents charged in shooting of baby in Uptown

Travis McCoy, 26, and Adriana Smith, 28, were struggling over a gun when it went off in a home in the 800 block of Eastwood Avenue, striking a 1-year-old boy in the head, police said.

SHARE Parents charged in shooting of baby in Uptown

Police investigate the shooting of an infant Jan. 27, 2020, in Uptown.

Mitch Dudek/Sun-Times

Two people were charged in the accidental shooting of their 1-year-old son Monday in Uptown on the North Side.

Travis McCoy, 26, was charged with a felony count of false complaint to 911 while Adriana Smith, 28, was charged with felony obstruction of justice and destroying evidence, Chicago police said. Both were also charged with misdemeanor counts of causing a child to be endangered.


Travis McCoy

Chicago police

McCoy and Smith were struggling over a gun when it went off in a home in the 800 block of Eastwood Avenue, where Smith lives, police said. A bullet hit their son in the head and McCoy took him to Weiss Hospital, allegedly telling officers that someone shot at them on the street.

The boy was transferred to Lurie Children’s Hospital, where he was stabilized, police said. After detectives determined that McCoy’s story didn’t add up, he was taken into custody.


Adriana Smith

Chicago police

Smith was arrested Tuesday morning in the 2400 block of West Belmont Avenue, police said.

Both are due in bond court Thursday.

Read more on crime, and track the city’s homicides.

The Latest
Eileen O’Neill Burke, a retired Illinois Appellate Court judge and a former Cook County assistant state’s attorney, filed more than 13,000 signatures to run as a Democrat for Cook County state’s attorney — the last day candidates had to file petitions for the March primary.
Martell Wiley’s claim came during his second day of testimony at the Dirksen Federal Courthouse, where he sparred with defense attorneys who noted there was no evidence he had actually cooperated against Watts.
“I‘ve reflected a ton,” Grifol said said. “There’s things that I feel I could have done better, and I will be better. We will be better.”
Latrice Phillips, 51, was ordered held in custody while awaiting trial in the death Saturday of Calvin Truitt, 33, at the Hilton Suites.