clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Man accused of murdering Walgreens employee allegedly preplanned crime by wearing second set of clothes

Sincere Williams, 18, was ordered held without bail for allegedly stabbing Olga Maria Calderon, 32. Williams’ assistant public defender says he suffers from schizophrenia.

Balloons and cut out hearts are tied to a fence as memorial for Olga Maria Calderon who was brutally stabbed while on shift at Walgreens at 1372 N. Milwaukee Ave. in Wicker Park, Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020.
Balloons and cut out hearts are tied to a fence as memorial for Olga Maria Calderon who was brutally stabbed while on shift at Walgreens at 1372 N. Milwaukee Ave. in Wicker Park, Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020.
Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times

An Old Town man accused of brutally murdering a woman inside a Wicker Park Walgreens came prepared for the crime and was wearing a second set of clothes under his outfit so he could change after repeatedly stabbing the mother of two, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday.

Why 18-year-old Sincere Williams stabbed employee Olga Maria Calderon 10 times was not entirely clear, prosecutors said at his bond court hearing.

“I can’t say for sure [robbery] was the motive in this case,” Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.

“He [Williams] did not take anything in this case and when you look at the video, it does show him walk straight to the victim and then viciously attack her. I cannot give you, as I sit here a definitive motive other than the fact that sometimes people just do evil things.”

Chicago police Tuesday said robbery was a possible motive and that Williams was a suspect of two recent robberies in the neighborhood, including one that took place at the Walgreens where Calderon, 32, was killed Sunday.

Four days before, Williams apparently tried to rob the same Walgreens, at 1372 N. Milwaukee Ave., with a similar-looking knife he used to stab Calderon, Murphy said.

Olga Maria Calderon
Olga Maria Calderon

Williams suffers from schizophrenia, an assistant public defender said.

But prosecutors, anticipating a mental health defense, noted that Williams calmly exited the store following the deadly stabbing and peeled off his clothes so he ended up wearing whatever he had on underneath.

“What is chilling ... is as [Williams] came up with this plan, he had a complete extra set of clothing on underneath the clothing he was wearing when he left his residence, including a different kind of hoodie and different pair of pants, so clearly he planned this out,” Murphy said.

Judge Arthur Wesley Willis noted Williams’ apparent mental illness, but ordered him held without bail and called him a danger to the community based on the alleged preparation for the crime.

Surveillance cameras captured Williams entering the Walgreens after 9 a.m. Sunday wearing a red face mask, bright orange Chicago Bears hoodie and dark jeans, prosecutors said.

Williams came up to Calderon from behind as she stocked items on a shelf near the front of the store and proceeded to grab her by the neck with his arm.

After forcing her against a check-out counter, Williams stabbed Calderon four times in the face, three times in the neck and once in the chest, back and right hand, prosecutors said.

Calderon died from her injuries at the Walgreens, prosecutors said.

Detectives found bloody gloves, clothing and a knife within a block of the store.

Sincere Williams arrest photo
Sincere Williams
Chicago police

Investigators methodically tracked Williams through surveillance camera footage that showed him leaving his home Sunday morning, walking to the store and strolling back to his residence after, prosecutors said.

In all the videos, Williams is seen wearing the same set of shoes, which were found in his bedroom when he was taken into custody Tuesday, prosecutors said. Packaging for the same brand of knife found near the Walgreens was also recovered from his room, prosecutors said.

Williams later sought treatment at Northwestern Memorial Hospital for the cuts on his hands he said were caused by a fence. But those injuries were consistent with cuts found on the bloody gloves near the store, prosecutors said.

Williams, a high school student and temporary worker, lives with his mother, his lawyer said.

Calderon was the mother of an 11-year-old girl and 3-year-old boy. Her family has set up a GoFundMe to cover funeral expenses that has raised more than $50,000 as of Wednesday.

Williams is expected back in court Sept. 28.