Brewers_Cubs_Baseball.JP_.49.jpg

Chicago Cubs’ Welington Castillo hits a two-run double during the first inning of a baseball game against the Milwaukee Brewers in Chicago, Saturday, May 17, 2014. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Cubs reach agreements with Coghlan and trade candidate Castillo

SHARE Cubs reach agreements with Coghlan and trade candidate Castillo
SHARE Cubs reach agreements with Coghlan and trade candidate Castillo

Did the Cubs move a step closer to trading Welington Castillo with Friday’s agreement on a one-year, $2.1-million deal that avoided arbitration with the 27-year-old catcher?

Castillo, a gifted but underachieving player since becoming a full-time starter, has been on the trading block since the Cubs signed free agent veteran catchers Miguel Montero and David Ross last month.

The Cubs aren’t in dump mode with Castillo, and insiders suggest a deal could happen during spring training if it takes that long for the Cubs to get the level of return they want.

But by removing any salary uncertainty before he and the team exchanged arbitration figures could help the process in the short term.

The bigger problem now is finding enough motivation to deal among catcher-needy teams such as Texas – which reportedly could be close to re-signing ex-Cub Geovany Soto – and the Arizona Diamondbacks, who said in this week they’ve decided against upgrading the position from the outside.

Castillo was one of two arbitration-eligible players the Cubs reached agreement with Friday, the day players and clubs exchange figures.

Left fielder Chris Coghlan, one of the team’s surprise success stories after signing as a minor-league free agent last year, agreed to a one-year, $2.505 million deal.

The agreements left the Cubs with four unsigned arbitration-eligible players, with more deals expected to come during Cubs Convention, which opens at 6 p.m. Friday.

They also put the Cubs’ salary commitments for 16 signed players at roughly $85 million – $100 million counting the first-year portion of left-hander Jon Lester’s signing bonus.

Email: gwittenmyer@suntimes.com

Twitter: @GDubCub

The Latest
Cubs manager David Ross also provided more information on Caleb Kilian’s timeline for a big-league call-up.
Chicago officials expect the city will be declared a high risk for COVID-19 outbreaks and strain on hospitals.
No shots were fired as the man passed behind reporter Joanie Lum and quickly walked away around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 400 block of North Clark Street, police said.
The shooting happened early Thursday in the 600 block of Sibley Boulevard, east of King Drive, authorities said.
Matthew Bokoski allegedly told authorities the Jan. 6, 2021, rally in Washington was effective because its participants were able to “shut down” the government.