McDonald’s Corp. and four other fast-food chains have made public information about their suppliers in China.
Information about companies that supply beef and chicken to the Oak Brook fast-food giant as well as Yum Brands, Burger King, Dicos and Carl’s Jr. was requested by Shanghai authorities in connection with the investigation into Shanghai Husi Food, Reuters reports.
Shanghai Husi, owned by Aurora-based OSI Group, is accused of reprocessing expires meat and distributing it to fast-food chains in China.
The food scandal has taken a toll on McDonald’s, which last week reported a global sales figure fell 2.5 percent in July. The hamburger chain said Friday the decline included a 3.2 percent drop in the U.S. and a 7.3 percent drop in the unit encompassing Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
Yum Brands, the owner of the KFC and Pizza Hut restaurant chains, said July 31 the food scandal has hurt sales and might be severe enough to cut into the company’s global profit. In a filing with the U.S. securities regulator, Yum said if the “significant sales impact” continues, it might hurt this year’s profit.
Yum is China’s biggest restaurant operator, with more than 4,600 KFC outlets and 1,200 Pizza Huts.