BREAKING: Matt Forte says his days with Bears are over
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
It appears Matt Forte won’t be returning to the Bears in 2016.
The veteran running back confirmed in an Instagram post that Bears general manager Ryan Pace has informed him that the team is moving on.
“Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end,” Forte wrote in the post.
“I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency. I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I’m excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home. God Bless and Bear Down!”
Forte, an eight-year NFL veteran, ranks second all time among Bears in rushing yards behind only Walter Payton.
He rushed for a career-low 898 yards and four touchdowns this past season while splitting time in the backfield with Jeremy Langford.
As recent as Monday, Forte said he hoped to remain in Chicago next season.
The 8 best games of Matt Forte’s career
Stats via Pro-Football-Reference