White Sox executive vice president Ken Williams declined to discuss a report Sunday that the Toronto Blue Jays were interested in hiring him to replace president and CEO Paul Beeston and that he is considering resigning because the Sox declined to grant permission for him to interview for the job.
The position would be a promotion in title and status from his position with the Sox. Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf promoted Williams to executive vice president when his long-time assistant, Rick Hahn, was promoted to the GM chair after the 2012 season.
“We’ve got work to do here and none of it has anything to do with that,’’ Williams, who is in San Diego for the Winter Meetings which being Monday, told the Sun-Times by text message.
“Unfortunately I’ve been bombarded today and respectfully have decided I’ve said all I’m going to say on the matter.’’
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports tweeted that Williams is considering resigning because the Sox balked at granting permission to speak to the Blue Jays.
Williams said at last year’s SoxFest that he hasn’t ruled out being a GM again and that he had received feelers about GM jobs elsewhere. Burned out from his time as with the Sox, he said he was enjoying the new freedoms he has in his life as vice president, which involves personnel decision-making and scouting. He was instrumental in scouting Jose Abreu last year.
ESPN’s Buster Olney reported that the Orioles’ Dan Duquette, who is under contract for three more years, was also discussed by the Jays.
Williams produced the best winning percentage of any general manager in White Sox history during his 12 seasons on the job, steering the team to a World Series title in 2005, two division titles and five second-place finishes.