clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dolton trustees want to close nightclub where 5 were shot Sunday

Dolton Trustees Tiffany Henyard (from left), Deborah Denton, Duane Muhammad, Robert
Pierson and Valeria Stubbs on Sunday called for the suspension of Club One's liquor license. | Mitch Dudek/Sun-Times

Several Dolton village officials said they will launch an effort to shut down a nightclub where five people were shot early Sunday.

Four men were shot inside Club One about 3 a.m. Sunday. A fifth man was shot outside the club at 14112 Chicago Road.

Club One is across the street from village hall.

“We’re seeking the immediate suspension of the club’s liquor license,” Dolton Trustee Duane Muhammad said during a news conference Sunday afternoon.

The shooting took place on the second floor of Club One, and police are investigating whether the shooter may have grabbed the gun from his girlfriend’s purse, Dolton Police Chief Robert Collins said during a phone interview on Sunday.

Collins said it was possible there may have been two shooters. No guns were recovered, he said.

Messages left at Club One seeking comment weren’t returned.

Muhammad, flanked by four other trustees, said he planned to ask Dolton Mayor Riley Rogers if the club is properly licensed and who owns the business. Muhammad said he was unable to talk with Rogers on Sunday.

Rogers, who is in charge of liquor licensing, could provide some answers at a village board meeting Monday.

“We will go into an emergency session with our police and fire committee and we will try to find out who the owners of this club are,” Muhammad said.

Neighbors have complained about litter and parking problems outside the club since it changed ownership in January, Muhammad said.

Collins said the shooting happened during an argument on the club’s second floor. Detectives were reviewing video surveillance footage from inside the club and interviewing possible witnesses.

As of Sunday evening, three of the victims were in critical but stable condition. Two other victims were in serious but stable condition, Collins said. All five were hospitalized at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

Collins provided the ages for four of the wounded men: 26, 30, 32 and 37.

None of the victims had been interviewed as of Sunday evening, Collins said.