img_3143.jpg

Sun-Times file photo

Generator causes ‘deadly’ carbon monoxide levels in Englewood home

SHARE Generator causes ‘deadly’ carbon monoxide levels in Englewood home
SHARE Generator causes ‘deadly’ carbon monoxide levels in Englewood home

A man and his teenage son would have died overnight had they not been removed from their home on Thursday in the Englewood neighborhood as it filled with deadly fumes.

Firefighters responded about 5:10 p.m. to the home in the 600 block of West Englewood for a report of a person having trouble breathing, according to Fire Media Affairs.

A 56-year-old man called 911 when his 16-year-old son complained of a headache and feeling lightheaded, the department said.

Firefighters found a gasoline generator running in the basement to power the home, which was without electrical service, the department said. Carbon Monoxide levels in the house measured over 1000 parts per million — a deadly level.

“Had they not been removed they would have perished overnight,” the department said on Twitter.

The man and his son were taken to University of Chicago Medical Center, where they were in good condition, the department said. The generator was shut off and the house was ventilated.

The Latest
The man, whose age was unknown, was on a sidewalk in the 5700 block of South Carpenter Street when someone opened fire, striking him in the head and body.
A woman and man, 27 and 25, were in a car in the 2900 block of West 31st Street about 11:45 p.m. when someone opened fire, police said.
Cubs president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer was introspective on the subject of transparency as the Cubs and White Sox opened a two-game series.
MLB
Thompson pitches five innings of one-run ball in Cubs’ 5-1 victory