Bail set at $300K for man accused of shooting at crowd on Thanksgiving

SHARE Bail set at $300K for man accused of shooting at crowd on Thanksgiving
knight_dion_1_e1555380290249.jpg

Dion Knight | DuPage County state’s attorney office

Bail was set at $300,000 on Monday for a west suburban man accused of opening fire at a group of people in the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day last year.

About 2 a.m. Nov. 24, 2016, Dion Knight, 30, drove through the parking lot of an apartment complex on Fairway Drive in Naperville and opened fire at a group of people, according to a statement from the DuPage County state’s attorney office.

One person was shot in the upper right chest, prosecutors said.

Knight drove away after the shooting, but was taken into custody by Naperville police after an investigation, prosecutors said.

Knight, of Naperville, was charged with aggravated battery with a gun, possession of a firearm by a street gang member and unlawful possession of a weapon by a felon, prosecutors said. He appeared in bond court Monday where his bond was set at $300,000.

“This was an extremely dangerous act that could have had far worse ramifications and I’m proud of the investigation conducted by our detectives which led to the securing of charges against the suspect involved,” Naperville Police Chief Robert Marshal said in a statement. “I would also like to thank the State’s Attorney’s Office for their guidance and collaboration as we worked through this case.”

Knight was expected back in court Aug. 21, prosecutors said.


The Latest
Pritzker announced the state had reached a deal via the agreed bill process to contribute $1.8 billion and add $450 million as an interest-free loan to the Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund. Lawmakers are in Springfield for the fall veto session — and changes to the massive criminal justice package known as the SAFE-T Act are still anticipated.
The charges come more than a year after a federal grand jury subpoenaed the agency in May 2021 seeking records on Mustafaa Saleh and two dozen properties the land bank obtained and sold.
Mike Ruemmler, who managed former Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s 2015 re-election campaign, said Tuesday he plans to file paperwork to form an independent expenditure committee bankrolled by business leaders for the purpose of electing moderate alderpersons.
Nick Fuentes was condemned Tuesday by the top two Republican leaders in Congress, Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy — though McCarthy continued to defend President Donald Trump for meeting with him.