clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

White Sox reliever Danny Farquhar stable after suffering aneurysm Friday night

Orlin Wagner/AP

Shock and sadness swept through the White Sox’ clubhouse Saturday upon the news that reliever Danny Farquhar suffered a brain hemorrhage in the dugout during the sixth inning of the game Friday.

Farquhar, 31, is in critical but stable condition at Rush University Medical Center. Overnight testing revealed a ruptured aneurysm caused the brain bleed.

Short of additional information about Farquhar’s condition, the Sox only could hope and pray for his recovery.

‘‘He’s alive, he’s got a chance, and that’s what I’m hanging on to,’’ pitching coach Don Cooper said. ‘‘And prayers are more necessary than talk.’’

The Sox put Farquhar on the 10-day disabled list and recalled reliever Gregory Infante from Class AAA Charlotte.


Yoan Moncada hurt, Lucas Giolito awful in White Sox’ latest ugly loss

White Sox GM Rick Hahn unhappy with losses but keeps perspective

Farquhar collapsed in the dugout after pitching two-thirds of an inning in the Sox’ 10-0 loss to the Astros. Team medical personnel and on-site emergency medical technicians immediately attended to him, and Farquhar was taken to Rush for further treatment and testing.

Farquhar is in the neurosurgical intensive-care unit and is receiving treatment and monitoring by Dr. Demetrius Lopes and the neurosurgical team, the Sox said.

‘‘It crushes us in this clubhouse,’’ Sox right-hander James Shields said. ‘‘And nothing really matters baseball-wise when something like that happens, you know?

‘‘We’ve been getting updates from last night all the way through until right now, and as of right now it’s not looking great. He’s definitely stable from what we hear, but he’s got a long way to go and he’s fighting.’’

Manager Rick Renteria addressed the team before the game and encouraged his players to do what Farquhar would want them to do — ‘‘come out here and keep getting after it.’’

Renteria said there was no discussion about postponing the game.

‘‘When he left here, he had a strong heartbeat, a good pulse and was breathing well,’’ Renteria said. ‘‘EMTs came in and made sure they gave him oxygen and they got him on the gurney, and before he left he was conscious. He was able to speak to his wife a little bit yesterday.’’

Farquhar is in his seventh major-league season and second with the Sox. He was a 10th-round draft pick by the Blue Jays in 2008 and pitched in three games for them in 2011.

He played three seasons with the Mariners (2013-15) and 1½ seasons with the Rays before he was released in July 2017. The Sox signed him as a free agent four days later.

Reliever Hector Santiago had the locker next to Farquhar’s in spring training and described him as an ‘‘all-around great guy, good family guy.’’

‘‘Just kind of sucks how everything went down like that,’’ Santiago said. ‘‘It’s something you can’t control. I mean, he just pitched a big-league game, and a couple of minutes later he’s lying on the ground.

‘‘It was lucky that it happened [at the ballpark] and we were able to get him over to the hospital pretty quick. You think about, with our lifestyle, you know, if it happens on the plane or in a hotel room by himself. So, luckily, it happened here, and they were able to treat him quick.’’

The Sox said they will continue to provide updates on Farquhar’s health.

Teams and players in the major and minor leagues tweeted thoughts and prayers for Farquhar and his family.

‘‘Prayers for @whitesox Danny Farquhar,’’ Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo tweeted. ‘‘Another reminder how precious life is. Stay strong and keep fighting. My thoughts are with his family.’’