Home damaged after dryer catches fire in Elgin

SHARE Home damaged after dryer catches fire in Elgin
28827391_1672997102748308_5870523879734018840_o_e1526373880884.jpg

Elgin Fire Department

A home was damaged after a fire sparked in a dryer Monday night in northwest suburban Elgin.

Firefighters responded at 9:54 p.m. to reports of a fire in the basement of a home in the 600 block of Packard Drive, according to the Elgin Fire Department.

The fire alarm was upgraded to a “working fire” due to potential for the fire to spread, the department said.

All residents self evacuated and the fire was put out within ten minutes. No injuries were reported.

There was smoke damage to the home and fire damage to the basement laundry room totaling about $5000, the department said.

The Latest
The wounded were in the 400 block of South Wells Street about 1:45 a.m. when they were shot.
A man and woman were on the sidewalk in the 4600 block of South Ellis Avenue about 10:40 p.m. when someone opened fire, striking them both.
The 29-year-old was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said.