Bulls given 25% chance of making NBA playoffs in offseason odds

The Bulls remain unlikely to reach the postseason even after a busy offseason.

SHARE Bulls given 25% chance of making NBA playoffs in offseason odds
ax050_6709_9.jpg

Bulls guard Zach LaVine returns in a big role this fall.

Brandon Dill/AP Photo

It’s been an active offseason for the Bulls in their effort to take the next step in an ongoing rebuild. Thaddeus Young signed in free agency, Tomas Satoransky came over in a sign-and-trade with the Wizards and Coby White represents the future at point guard after his selection in the first round of the NBA Draft.

All of those moves appear to be pushing the Bulls in the right direction, but will it be enough to reach the playoffs? The odds makers are skeptical, with BetOnline.AG giving the franchise a 24.8% chance of reaching the postseason in the first full season under head coach Jim Boylen.

Officially, the Bulls are listed at +290 to make the playoffs and -350 to miss them, which comes out to an percentage chance of just under one-in-four.

None of that should be particularly surprising for the Bulls, who won a total of 49 games over the last two seasons. They’ve been one of the NBA’s worst teams since trading Jimmy Butler to kickstart a rebuild, and while an assortment of solid moves have improved their roster, teams across the league added star players this summer.

Among teams in the Eastern Conference, the Bulls have the 11th-highest odds. Here’s the full list:

  1. Bucks – 91.2%
  2. 76ers – 89.3%
  3. Celtics – 82.5%
  4. Pacers – 81.6%
  5. Raptors – 72.5%
  6. Nets – 71.5%
  7. Heat – 68.9%
  8. Magic – 64.3%
  9. Pistons – 41.2%
  10. Hawks – 34.5%
  11. BULLS – 24.8%
  12. Wizards – 17.5%
  13. Knicks – 16.1%
  14. Cavaliers – 12.1%
  15. Hornets – 10.7%

The Bucks and Clippers are tied for the highest odds to make the postseason (91.2%), while the Suns have the lowest odds (8.8%). The Warriors, who have won at least 57 games and reached the NBA Finals in five consecutive seasons, have just a 75.2% chance of reaching the playoffs after losing Kevin Durant to free agency and Klay Thompson to injury.

The Latest
“Beyond Bars” includes extensive interviews with Boudin’s parents, once members of the Weather Underground radical group. It also covers his path to becoming San Francisco district attorney, and his recall in 2022.
The Croatian Cultural Center is celebrating its 50th anniversary with murals that Glenview artist Ivan (John) Mikan created last year.
The new required pricing labels are modeled on nutritional labels and are meant to help consumers comparison shop and avoid junk fees.
Pope was 110-52 in five seasons with the Cougars and went 23-11 in their first season in the Big 12 Conference.
The two were identified as Marisa Dister, 46, and Russell O’Connor, 44, who were found at a residence in the 300 block of West 12th Street, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. A gun was recovered near their bodies.