Despite concerns of how the coronavirus and scheduling restrictions could throw a wrench into plans for the event, Major League Baseball is saying its “Field of Dreams” game has not been canceled, although an originally planned game between the White Sox and Yankees in a Dyersville, Iowa, cornfield is likely out.
Speculation now surrounds the Sox playing the Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers Twins or Reds, although it’s not a given the Sox would still participate.
“We won’t know until the new 2020 schedule gets finalized,” Sox vice president for communications Scott Reifert said via text message Tuesday.
In the upcoming shortened 60-game schedule, which could be released this week, the Yankees of the AL East will not face the Sox of the AL Central. Teams are playing opponents in their own divisions and from the same geographical division from the American or National League.
“To date, there has been no change in the status of the event, and we hope to have the option to play,” MLB told John Morosi of MLB Network. “Construction is continuing, and we are following all CDC and state protocols regarding recommended safety practices, including social distancing, washing hands and temperature checks before arriving to the site. Safeguarding public health is our top priority. We are monitoring ongoing events and plan to remain as flexible as these circumstances demand.”
The game, to be televised nationally on Fox, had been scheduled for Aug. 13, a Thursday night. MLB announced last year in August it would construct an 8,000-seat stadium on the popular 1989 “Field of Dreams” movie set’s grounds to stage an official “home” game for the Sox, who have a historical connection to the movie with the 1919 Black Sox scandal.