At least 47 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, eight of them fatally.
A single attack in Gresham on the South Side wounded five people early Sunday, one of them fatally. Someone opened fire from a car around 12:20 a.m. in the 1800 block of West 78th Street, police said.
Tacara Tunstall, 19, was shot in the chest and arm. She was transported to St. Bernard Hospital and pronounced dead, police said. Four other teenagers were wounded by gunfire.
The Rev. Michael Pfleger of Saint Sabina Church announced a $10,000 reward Monday. “When do we decide that this is not the way to handle anger, when does this become a reality?” Pfleger said.
Other fatal attacks
- Friday evening, a 38-year-old man was driving west in the 500 block of West 95th Street in Washington Heights when a man opened fire from a sidewalk at about 10:40 p.m., police said. The driver was shot several times and taken to Christ Medical Center, where he died.
- About half an hour later, around 11:10 p.m., a 62-year-old man was fatally shot in Englewood. He was in a car at a stop sign in the 800 block of West 71st Street when he was shot in the head, police said. He was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
- Early Saturday, a man was shot to death in Back of the Yards on the South Side. Just after midnight, the 21-year-old was standing on the sidewalk in the 5200 block of South Honore Street when someone opened fire, police said. He was struck in the torso and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he died.
- Saturday morning, a man was found shot to death in North Lawndale. The man, 19, was found with a gunshot wound to the chest at about 5:15 a.m. in the 3900 block of West Fillmore Street, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
- Around 6 a.m. Saturday, a 28-year-old man was killed and another wounded in Roseland. They were walking together in the 9400 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue when a person walked up and shot the 28-year-old in the arm. He died at the University of Chicago Medical Center. A bullet grazed the other man’s head, but he declined treatment.
- Early Sunday, a man was shot to death in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. The man, 32, was arguing with someone at about 3:30 a.m. in the 1100 block of North Ridgeway Avenue when he was shot multiple times, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he later died, police said.
- Sunday afternoon, a 16-year-old boy was standing near a sidewalk at about 4:05 p.m. in the 13100 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue when he was shot in the chest. The boy was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he later died, police said.
No arrests were reported in any of the attacks, which happened between 5 p.m. Friday and 5 a.m. Monday.
Last weekend, at least 58 people were shot in Chicago, nine of them fatally.