clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

5 hurt in high-rise fire, carbon monoxide leak in Uptown

One person was taken to the hospital with a minor burn and four people were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Four people were hurt and one person burned in an apartment complex fire March 2, 2021, in the 4500 block of North Sheridan Road.
Four people were hurt and one person burned in an apartment complex fire March 2, 2021, in the 4500 block of North Sheridan Road.
Chicago Fire Department

A high-rise fire and carbon monoxide leak sent five people to hospitals early Tuesday in Uptown on the North Side.

Firefighters were called to high carbon monoxide readings about 4:30 a.m. at an apartment complex in the 4500 block of North Sheridan Road, according to Chicago fire officials.

Four people were taken to the hospital for treatment, the department said.

Crews found a faulty furnace and returned carbon monoxide levels, which read 200 parts per million, back to normal a short time later, fire officials said. Residents returned to the building.

About 30 minutes later, a small fire was found in one of the units, fire officials said. The blaze was put out shortly after it was discovered.

One person was taken to the hospital with a minor burn, fire officials said.