5 hurt in high-rise fire, carbon monoxide leak in Uptown

One person was taken to the hospital with a minor burn and four people were taken to the hospital for treatment.

SHARE 5 hurt in high-rise fire, carbon monoxide leak in Uptown
Four people were hurt and one person burned in an apartment complex fire March 2, 2021, in the 4500 block of North Sheridan Road.

Four people were hurt and one person burned in an apartment complex fire March 2, 2021, in the 4500 block of North Sheridan Road.

Chicago Fire Department

A high-rise fire and carbon monoxide leak sent five people to hospitals early Tuesday in Uptown on the North Side.

Firefighters were called to high carbon monoxide readings about 4:30 a.m. at an apartment complex in the 4500 block of North Sheridan Road, according to Chicago fire officials.

Four people were taken to the hospital for treatment, the department said.

Crews found a faulty furnace and returned carbon monoxide levels, which read 200 parts per million, back to normal a short time later, fire officials said. Residents returned to the building.

About 30 minutes later, a small fire was found in one of the units, fire officials said. The blaze was put out shortly after it was discovered.

One person was taken to the hospital with a minor burn, fire officials said.

The Latest
Northwestern University is trying to win over neighbors with plans to bring concerts to the home of the Wildcats.
There are many factors driving the 122 candidates’ desire to become part of the grand experiment of civilian oversight at the grassroots level. Two major camps have emerged: Police supporters determined to take the shackles off officers and those who believe CPD has victimized communities of color and don’t trust police.
For a $500 monthly stipend, council members offer communities a step toward policing reform.
Police warn residents to take precautions as three of the people were struck on the head with a gun.