clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Baby in good condition after Back of the Yards fire

A space heater may be to blame for an extra-alarm fire that left a baby girl injured Wednesday in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Fire crews were called to the 4400 block of South Honore about 3:20 p.m., and rescued the baby and three other people from the burning home, officials said.

The 1-year-old child suffered smoke inhalation and discomfort, and was taken to a hospital in good condition, Fire Media Affairs Chief Larry Langford said.

Fire officials initially said another person was taken to the hospital, but later clarified he was a teenager accompanying the baby. He was not hurt.

The baby girl was expected to be treated and released from University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital, according to a police report.

Crews brought the fire under control about 4:10 p.m., authorities said. Flames damaged two adjacent homes, and siding was blackened and peeling from both buildings.

The fire may have started with a space heater on the second floor of the building where the girl was rescued, the police report said.

[googlemaps https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m8!1m3!1d2966.807906392833!2d-87.6752891!3d41.9614609!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x880fd23e8bd18bd1%3A0x10cfb17804f0da2c!2s4400+N+Honore+St%2C+Chicago%2C+IL+60613!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1413407699103&w=100%&h=300]