clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Man charged in fatal Austin shooting

Tyrie Williams, 25, was charged in the weekend slaying of 22-year-old Tremayne Creighton

A man accused of fatally shoot a man over the weekend in Austin was ordered held without bail Monday by a Cook County judge.

An alleged gunman charged in a deadly shooting in Austin over the weekend was ordered held without bail Monday.

Around 2:54 a.m. Saturday, Tyrie Williams and a cohort approached a group of people gathered near a parked car in the 5000 block of West Cortez Street and began firing their weapons, Cook County prosecutors said.

Williams, 25, allegedly fired in the direction of 22-year-old Tremayne Creighton, and Williams’ companion shot at a nearby house.

Creighton, who was struck in head and thigh, was transported to Stroger Hospital, where he later died.

Shortly after the shooting, responding Chicago police officers found Williams holding a gun in his left hand, prosecutors said. He was wearing a black hoodie with a white shirt underneath, jeans and light brown shoes — the same outfit the gunman was wearing in a video captured by a POD camera, prosecutors said.

Williams ran from police and fled back down an alley that was about one block north, and two to three blocks east of the shooting, prosecutors said.

As officers chased Williams, they saw him toss a semi-automatic handgun that was later recovered in a grassy section of the alley, prosecutors said. Williams was eventually apprehended but he allegedly fought with and kicked one of the officers before he was placed into custody.

Investigators recovered 10 shell casings — seven which matched the handgun Williams threw, prosecutors said.

Williams told officers he was left handed when they were performing a gunshot residue test and he was seen on video trying to lick his left hand during the testing, prosecutors said. The swab of Williams’ right hand as well as his sweatshirt tested positive for gunshot residue, prosecutors said.

Williams graduated from high school in 2012 and most recently worked for Mahoney Environmental, an assistant public defender said.

He is expected back in court Dec. 1.