5 people killed, 14 wounded by gunfire in Chicago over Christmas weekend

The fatal attacks happened in North Lawndale, Marquette Park, Beverly, Montclare and West Garfield Park.

SHARE 5 people killed, 14 wounded by gunfire in Chicago over Christmas weekend
Los robos ocurrieron entre las 7:20 y las 8:20 a.m. el jueves, según la policía. | Archivos Sun-Times

Sun-Times file

Five people were killed and 14 others were wounded by gunfire over the Christmas weekend across Chicago.

  • Friday night, a man was shot to death after an argument in a back yard in Albany Park on the Northwest Side. The 18-year-old was arguing with someone about 8:15 p.m. in the 4600 block of North Lawndale Avenue when he was shot in his back and abdomen, Chicago police said. He was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he died.
  • Early Saturday, a man died after he was shot while driving in Montclare on the Northwest Side. Frank Lamardo Jr., 40, was driving about 12:50 a.m. in the 2500 block of North Rutherford Avenue when someone opened fire, striking him in his head, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said. He then crashed his car into a light pole and was taken to Loyola University Medical Center, where he died.
  • A man was found fatally shot Sunday night inside a home in Marquette Park on the Southwest Side. Officers performing a well-being check about 8:10 p.m. at the home in the 7200 block of South Francisco Avenue found the man with a gunshot wound to his head, Chicago police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene. His age was not known.
  • A few hours later, a 21-year-old man was fatally shot while driving. He then crashed his vehicle into another car in the Beverly neighborhood on the Far South Side. He had been driving in the 10400 block of South Prospect Avenue about 10:30 p.m. when he was shot in his back, police said. Fire officials took him to University of Chicago Medical Center, where he died.
  • About an hour later, a woman was shot to death in West Garfield Park. She was later found in a parked car in Maywood with a gunshot wound to her head, police said. The shooting happened just before 11:30 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of South Kolmar Avenue, according to police. She was taken to Loyola University Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead. Detectives were speaking to a person of interest.
  • A shooting that wounded two people Saturday night in Englewood prompted an officer who witnessed the attack to open fire on the gunman and two suspected accomplices, authorities said. Officers were on patrol about 7 p.m. in the 5900 block of South Halsted Street when they saw a gunman get out of a car and fire shots at an SUV, striking two occupants — a 17-year-old boy and a 54-year-old man, police said. The boy and the man were taken to University of Chicago Medical Center for treatment, according to police, who did not release their conditions. After seeing the shooting, an officer fired at the gunman and two others in the car the shooter exited. The gunman and the people in the car fled, and the car was later found empty. A weapon was recovered at the shooting scene.
  • Monday night, a 15-year-old boy was wounded in a shooting in Englewood. The teen was standing on a sidewalk about 10:10 p.m. in the 500 block of West 72nd Street when someone in a red Jeep drove up and a person inside fired shots, police said. The teen was shot multiple times in the torso and legs and was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition.

At least 11 other people were wounded in shootings in Chicago over the holiday weekend.

The Latest
Homewood-Flossmoor and Curie have been the two best teams in the state for the entire season. The highly-anticipated matchup brought a large crowd to UIC and the teams did not disappoint.
The versatile forward has been sidelined since the All-Star break with a sprained right knee, but he showed significant signs Monday of returning sooner than later.
Driver Anastasios Adamopoulos and a passenger hopped off his bus about 2 a.m. Monday and woke residents in two homes that were on fire. “The flames were reaching for the heavens.”
GM Ryan Poles originally tried to acquire Bates as an unrestricted free agent two years ago, but the Bills matched the Bears’ offer sheet.