Prosecutors dropped charges against “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett at a surprise court hearing on Tuesday after the Chicago Police Department had charged him for allegedly filing a false police report.
Smollett had been charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly hiring two men to attack him in what was described as a staged attack near his Streeterville home in January.
Smollett previously told police he was walking in the 300 block of East North Water Street about 2 a.m. on Jan. 29 when two men walked up to him, yelled racial and homophobic slurs, hit him in the face, poured a substance — possibly bleach — on him and put a “thin, light rope” around his neck. The incident was being investigated as a hate crime.
The actor denied allegations that the attack was staged in an interview on “Good Morning America” with anchor Robin Roberts, and said the attacks on his credibility have been hard to take. He called accusations that he was lying “ridiculous.”